2nd Place Brown Butter Maple Spritz|
1995 2nd Place Brown Butter Maple Spritz
1 1/4 c Unsalted butter
1 c Confectioners' sugar
2 ts Pure vanilla extract
1 1/4 ts Salt
2 Egg yolks
2 1/4 c Unsifted all-purpose flour
1/2 c Pure maple syrup
Milk or whipping cream,
1. To brown the butter, melt butter in a small, heavy saucepan over low
heat. When fully melted, increase heat to medium and cook, stirring
constantly, until the butter turns a medium brown and smells nutty. Measure
out 1 cup to use for cookies and reserve the rest for the filling.
Refrigerate until firm but not solid, about 30 minutes.
2. For cookies, heat oven to 325 degrees. Have ready a cookie press and
ungreased baking sheet(s).
3. Beat the 1 cup brown butter, 1/2 cup of the confectioners' sugar,
vanilla and salt in large bowl of electric mixer until creamy. Add egg and
egg yolks and mix to combine. Stop mixer and add flour; mix on low speed
just until flour disappears.
4. Transfer dough to a cookie press and press onto baking sheet in desired
shapes, spacing them 1 1/2 inches apart. Bake until set, 16 to 18 minutes.
Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
5. For filling, cook maple syrup in a heavy 2-quart saucepan over high
heat for 5 minutes. Cool to lukewarm then stir in remaining 1/2 cup
confectioners' sugar. Beat the reserved brown butter in a food processor or
a small bowl of electric mixer until light. Add the syrup mixture and beat
until smooth. If mixture is too thick, add a small amount of milk or cream
until it is spreadable.
6. Assemble cookies by spreading about 1/2 teaspoon filling on the flat
side of half the cookies. Sandwich with another cookie.
Second-place winner in the 1995 Chicago Tribune Holiday Cookie Contest: by
Sarah Frudden of Chicago
Posted to MM-Recipes Digest V3 #338
From: Linda Place
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 12:22:52 +0000