Honorable Mention Kourambiethes (Almond Shortbread)|
1996 Honorable Mention Kourambiethes (Almond Shortbread)
1/2 c Blanched almonds
1 lb Unsalted butter; softened
1 lb Confectioners' sugar
2 Egg yolks
3 tb Cognac
1 ts Vanilla extract
3 c Cake flour
1/2 ts Baking powder
Bess Gallanis Hayes of Winnetka, Illinois won an honorable mention in the
1996 Chicago Tribune Annual Holiday Cookie Contest with these Greek almond
1. Heat oven to 350'F. Spread almonds in single layer on baking sheet.
Bake, stirring occasionally, until lightly toasted, about 10 minutes.
Remove from oven; cool, then chop coarsely.
2. Beat butter in large bowl of electric mixer on medium-high speed until
very light and fluffy, 5 minutes. Add 3 tablespoons of the confectioners'
sugar; continue beating 3 minutes.
3. Add egg yolks, Cognac and vanilla; beat until smooth. Beat in almonds,
flour and baking powder until mixed well. (If dough is too soft to handle,
add additional flour.)
4. Shape scant tablespoons full of dough between palms into round balls or
crescents. Bake on ungreased baking sheets until set and very pale golden
in color; 15 minutes. Remove cookies to cooling rack.
5. Place remaining confectioners' sugar into sifter. While cookies are
still hot, sift confectioners' sugar over tops. Repeat twice at 20-minutes
Source: Chicago Tribune, December 4, 1996
Posted to MM-Recipes Digest V3 #339
From: Linda Place
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 04:11:46 +0000