Abalone Soup #2
4 Dried black mushrooms
1/2 cn Abalone; 4-oz
Stock or water
1/4 c Smoked ham
1/2 c Lean pork
2 sl Fresh ginger root
1 tb Cornstarch
1 tb Soy sauce
1 tb Sherry
1 tb Peanut oil
1/4 ts Salt
1 ds Pepper
1/4 ts Salt
1. Soak dried mushrooms.
2. Drain canned abalone, reserving liquid. Combine abalone liquid with
enough cold stock or water to make six cups.
3. Cut mushrooms, abalone, ham and pork all in strips, but keep them
separate. Mince ginger root.
4. Combine cornstarch, soy sauce and sherry. Add to pork and toss to
coat. Let stand a few minutes.
5. Heat oil. Add salt and ginger and stir-fry a few times. Add pork and
stir-fry until it loses pinkness. Remove from pan.
6. Meanwhile bring abalone-stock mixture slowly to a boil. Add mushrooms
and stir-fried pork. Simmer, covered, 10 minutes.
7. Add abalone, ham strips, pepper and remaining salt. Cook only to heat
through, about 2 minutes. (Don't overcook abalone; it will toughen.)
8. Garnish with a poached egg.
VARIATION: For the pork, substitute 1/2 cup chicken breast, cooked. Add
in step 6 after mushrooms have simmered 8 minutes, and cook only to heat
ISBN 0-517-65870-4. Downloaded
from Glen's MM Recipe Archive, http://www.erols.com/hosey.