Afternoon Tea Cakes
3 tb Unsweetened cocoa powder
1 ts Baking soda
1 c All-purpose flour
1/2 c Hot water
1 ts Vanilla extract
3 tb Unsalted butter, melted
1/3 c Shredded coconut
1 lg Egg
1/2 c Sour cream
1 tb Unsalted butter
1 c Sifted confectioner's sugar
2 tb Water
1/4 ts Ground cinnamon
1/2 oz Unsweetened chocolate
1 ts Vanilla extract
The light and moist cupcakes have a delicate cinnamon-scented chocolate
glaze that's spread over them while they are still warm.
1. Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 375 degrees F.
Line twelve 2 1/2-inch muffin cups with paper liners.
2. Place cocoa in a small bowl and stir in 1/2 cup very hot tap water to
3. In a large bowl combine the melted butter and sugar; beat with an
electric mixer until blended. Add the egg and beat until light, 1 to 2
minutes. Add the cocoa mixture and beat until smooth. In a small bowl stir
together the sour cream and baking soda. Stir this mixture into the
butter-sugar mixture. Add the flour and vanilla; beat quickly, just until
evenly blended. With a spoon stir in the coconut.
Spoon the batter into the muffin cups, dividing it evenly among them; they
will be about three-quarters full. Bake about 20 minutes, until the tops
spring back when lightly touched and a toothpick inserted in the center
comes out clean. Remove the tea cakes from the pan and cool slightly on a
rack while you prepare the glaze.
4. Spread about 2 teaspoons of the chocolate glaze on each of the warm tea
cakes and let cool thoroughly.
Makes 1/2 cup
Drizzle this simple and tasty glaze over the afternoon tea cakes or over
any cake that's been frosted with seven-minute caramel frosting.
1. In a small saucepan combine the butter with 2 tablespoons water. Place
over low heat, add the chocolate, and stir until the chocolate melts and
the mixture thickens slightly; remove from the heat.
2. In a small bowl combine the confectioner's sugar and cinnamon; stir in
the chocolate mixture and the vanilla to make a smooth glaze.
From: Jim Fobel's Old-Fashioned Baking Book.
Posted to recipelu-digest Volume 01 Number 325 by P& Gruenwald
on Nov 29, 1997