Lemon and Ricotta Cake|
Almond, Lemon and Ricotta Cake
250 g Blanched almonds
70 g Plain flour
7 Lemons, finely grated zest
3 Lemons, juice of
225 g Unsalted butter, softened
250 g Caster sugar
6 Eggs, separated
300 g Fresh ricotta cheese
Makes 1 x 25.5cm/10 in cake.
1. Preheat oven to 150C/300F/Gas 2. Butter a 25.5cm/10in round cake tin and
line with greaseproof paper.
2. Coarsely chop the almonds in a food processor. Combine with the flour
and lemon zest.
3. Beat the butter and sugar together in a mixer until pale and light. Add
the egg yolks one by one, then add the almond mixture.
4. Put the ricotta in a bowl and lightly beat with a fork. Add the lemon
juice. In another bowl, beat the egg whites until they form soft peaks.
Fold the egg whites into the almond mixture and finally stir in the
5. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and bake in the preheated oven
for 35-40 minutes until set. Test by inserting a skewer, which should come
out clean. Remove from tin while warm, and cool on a rack.
NOTES : Go on - just a slice. To serve any time, but especially as a
new-style pudding. Ricotta is a fresh, soft, mild cheese, traditionally
made fro mthe whey left behind when the curds had been used for other
cheeses. It's not so rich as mascarpone, and often used in cooking, as a
filling for pasta or for sweet or savoury tarts.
Recipe by: You Magazine, Mail on Sunday, 25 May 1997 Posted to MC-Recipe
Digest V1 #634 by Kerry Erwin
on Jun 03, 1997