Almond Praline Bell
-Nancy Speicher DPXX20A
1 c Blanched almonds
1 1/3 c Granulated sugar
2/3 c Light-brown sugar; packed
1/3 c Honey
1/3 c -cold water
6 tb Butter
1 Lemon; cut in half
1. Preheat oven to 300F. Butter inside of 9", 10-cup decorative mold; or
use a 10-cup bowl. Grease a large cookie sheet. On another cookie sheet,
toast almonds until golden brown - about 20 minutes. In blender or food
processor, grind almonds (makes 1 1/2 cups).
2. In a heavy, 3-quart saucepan, combine granulated sugar, brown sugar,
honey and water. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, until sugar is
3. Cook, uncovered and without stirring, to 300F on candy thermometer, or
until a few drops of syrup in cold water form hard, brittle threads.
4. Remove from heat; add butter and ground almonds.
5. Pour into prepared cookie sheet. Using the 2 lemon halves and working
quickly, smooth out and push from the center to the edge of the cookie
sheet until the brittle is 1/8" thick.
6. Lift brittle off the sheet before it is completely cooled and hardened,
and mold it against the inside of prepared mold.
7. Cool completely - about 2 hours. Unmold just before it is to be served.
8. To unmold: With spatula, carefully loosen candy from pan; remove. Makes
1 large bell.
Note: Leftover pieces can be kept in a closed jar at room temperature, or
wrapped in aluminum foil.
From McCalls Cookery No. 13
From Gemini's MASSIVE MealMaster collection at www.synapse.com/~gemini