Gobi Aur Mater (Cauliflower with Potatoes and Peas)|
Aloo Gobi Aur Mater (Cauliflower with Potatoes and Peas)
4 tb Oil
2 md Onions, finely chopped
450 g Potatoes, diced into 2cm
1 sm Cauliflower
Cut into 2cm pieces
1/2 ts Ground turmeric
1/3 ts Chilli powder
1 ts Ground cummin
2 Tomatoes, chopped
1 ts Salt
1/4 ts Sugar
200 g Peas
1/2 ts Garam Masala (see below)
1. Heat the oil in a karahi(wok) over medium high heat
2. Add the onions and fry for 3-4 minutes until light brown
3. Add the potatoes and cauliflower and stir. Add the turmeric, chilli,
cummin, tomatoes, salt and sugar. Stir fry for 2-3 minutes.
4. Add the peas, cover and reduce heat to a medium low and cook for about
20 minutes until the potatoes and cauliflower are tender. During the
cooking period stir the vegetables a few times to stop them sticking.
5. Sprinkle with garam masala.
It's that easy!
Garam Masala means "hot spices" and is a mixture of ground spices that is
used sparingly, sprinkled either on a finished dish or on to the foods just
before it has finished cooking. It is far better to grind your own spices
than to buy the mixture ready-ground. Bought garam masala often contains
inferior quality spices and will not keep its flavour for long.
For homemade garam masala, grind together cardamom seeds from 10 pods, 25g
cinnamon stick, 6 cloves and 6-8 whole black peppercorns. Store in an
airtight jar in a cool place.
Compiled by Imran C.