Peanut Butter Cream Pie Dgsv43a|
Amish Peanut Butter Cream Pie Dgsv43a
3/4 c Powdered sugar
1/2 c Smooth peanut butter
1 c Sugar; divided
3 c Milk; divided
3 Eggs; separated
6 tb Cornstarch; divided
3 tb Flour
1/4 ts Salt
2 tb Butter
2 ts Vanilla; divided
1 Pie shell; baked
1/4 ts Cream of tartar
1. Beat together the powdered sugar and peanut butter until the mixture is
crumbly; set aside.
2. In a large, heavy saucepan, combine 2/3 c sugar and 2 c milk; heat to
scalding or until bubbles start to form on the bottom. Do not let it boil.
3. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, beat the egg yolks to mix; blend in 3 T
cornstarch, flour and salt. Stire to make a paste.
4.Whisk in the remaining 1 c cold milk, whisking until the mixture is
5. Pour in some of the hot milk mixture, stirring to combine.
6. Add mixture in bowl to the milk in the saucepan. Cook over medium-low
heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture bubbles up in the center.
7. Add the butter and 1 t vanilla. Remove from heat and let custard cool.
8. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
9. Sprinkle 2/3 of the crumbly peanut butter mixture in the bottom of the
baked (and cooled) pastry shell. Pour the cooled custard mixture over the
10. In a large mixer bowl, place the egg whites, cream of tartar and
remaining 1 t vanilla. Beat until stiff peaks form.
10. Gradually, while beating, add the 4 T remaining sugar and 3 T remaining
cornstarch. Continue beating until whiltes are very think and glossy. 11.
Spread on top of pie; sprinkle the remaining peanut butter mixture on top.
Bake for 1- to 15 minutes; watching carefully, or until the meringue is
golden brown. Cool. An Indiana recipe formated for you by Judy Lausch
Posted to MC-Recipe Digest V1 #764 by Nancy Berry
Aug 29, 1997