Sauce with Mushrooms and Greens|
Artichoke Sauce with Mushrooms and Greens
1 tb Olive oil
1 c Onion; minced
3/4 lb Mushroom; sliced
1 1/2 ts Salt
1/2 ts Dried thyme
1/2 ts Dried sage
1/2 lb Kale or collard greens;
-stemmed and chopped
4 lg Clov garlic; minced
4 tb Vegetable broth or water; or
-for a zippier taste, white
1 tb Unbleached white flour
2 6 oz. jars marinated
-artichoke hearts or crowns
Freshly ground black pepper;
6 Leaves fresh basil
3 tb Milk or cream; optional
1. Heat the olive oil in a large, deep skillet or Dutch oven. Add the onion
and saute for about 2 minutes over medium heat.
2. Add the mushrooms, 1/2 tsp. salt, thyme and sage.
3. Stir and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes, then add the greens,
garlic, and remaining salt.
4. Stir, cover, and cook another 5 minutes over medium heat.
5. Add the broth, water, or wine, and wait until it bubbles. Sprinkle in
the flour, stirring as you sprinkle.
6. Cook uncovered for another minute or two, stiring constantly. The liquid
7. Cut the artichokes into bite sized pieces. Add these to the skillet,
along with all the liquid from the jars.
8. Grind in some black pepper, stir in the basil, and if desired, stir in
the milk or cream. Remove from heat and serve.
NOTES : serve this luxurious sauce over pasta, plain cooked rice, or baked
potatoes. Note: Use any kind of leafy green in addition to (or in place
of) kale or collard greens. (Try spinach, escarole or chard.)
Recipe by: Mollie Katzen/The Enchanted Broccoli Forest
Posted to recipelu-digest Volume 01 Number 426 by RecipeLu
on Dec 31, 1997