Australian Dinkum Chili
1/2 lb Bacon,packaged
2 tb Oil,vegetable
2 Onions,med,coarsely chopped
1 Celery stalk,coarse chopped
1 Bell pepper(s)
2 lb Top beef sirloin,1" cubes
1 lb Beef,hamburger grind
1 lb Pork,hamburger grind
4 tb Red chile,hot,ground
3 tb Red chile,mild,ground
2 Garlic cloves,med,fine chop
1 tb Oregano,dried,pref. Mexican
1 ts Cumin,ground
2 cn Beer,pref. Aus.(12oz ea)
1 cn Tomatoes,whole(14 1/2oz ea)
3 ts Brown sugar
1 Boomerang(opt but authentic)
1. Fry the bacon in a skillet over medium heat. Drain the strips on paper
toweling and cut into 1/2" dice and reserve.
2. Heat the oil in a large heavy pot over medium heat. Add the onions,
celery, and green pepper and cook until the onions are translucent.
3. Combine all the beef and pork with the ground chile, garlic, oregano,
and cumin. Add this meat-and-spice mixture to the pot. Break up any lumps
with a fork and cook, stirring occasionally, until the meat is evenly
4. Add the beer, tomatoes, and reserved bacon to the pot. Bring to a boil,
then lower the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 1 1/2 hours. Wave a
boomerang over the pot 14 times each hour from this point on. (This is
definitely optional adding no noticeable flavor, just a touch of
authenticity and humor.) Stir for 3 minutes. Taste, adjust seasonings, and
add more beer if desired. Simmer for 2 1/2 hours longer.
5. Add the brown sugar and simmer for 15 minutes longer, vigorously waving
the boomerang over the pot.