Macaroni and Cheese|
Baked Macaroni and Cheese
2 c Uncooked elbow macaroni
1/2 c Butter
1/2 c Flour
1 1/2 c Milk
1 1/2 c Sour cream
1 ts Salt
1/2 ts Pepper
10 oz Mild cheddar cheese, grated
1. Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
2. Cook macaroni in salted boiling water according to package directions.
Drain and rinse well with cold water. Pour into a 3 quart casserole.
3. In a saucepan, melt butter and stir in flour. Gradually stir in milk and
sour cream. Add salt and pepper.
4. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until sauce bubbles and
5. Reserve 1 cup grated cheese for the top of the casserole. Toss macaroni
with remaining cheese.
6. Pour sauce over macaroni and mix thoroughly. Sprinkle with remaining
7. Bake for 1 hour, or until bubbly and browned.
8. Serve immediately.
NOTES : From Mimi: Believe it or not, this was served at a temple dinner
one Friday night. It was so good, I asked for the recipe. Low fat, it's
not, but I have had some success using lower fat ingredients such as milk
and sour cream, though I wouldn't bother with nonfat sour cream. I also use
less cheddar than this recipe calls for...or I double everything except the
sour cream and cheddar. Whatever works...it's the best version I've ever
Recipe by: Mimi's Cyber Kitchen Posted to MC-Recipe Digest V1 #666 by
Creedenite@aol.com on Jul 12, 1997