Rice with Sausage, Peppers and Mushrooms|
Baked Rice with Sausage, Peppers and Mushrooms
2 tb Olive oil
12 oz Italian sausage; cut 1/2
1 md Onion; finely chopped
1 md Sweet red pepper; cut 1/2
1 cn Mushroom; thinly sliced
1 sm Zucchini; halved and sliced
3 c White rice
2 3/4 c Chicken broth
1/2 c Parmesan cheese; grated
1 ts Dried basil
1/2 ts Black pepper
1. Heat the oil in a heavy 12 inch skillet over moderately high heat.
2. Add the sausage, and saute for 5 minutes or until browned.
3. Transfer with a slotted spoon to a bowl.
4. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of the fat from the skillet and discard.
5. Preheat the oven to 350.
6. Add the onion to the skillet and saute stirring for 5 minutes.
7. Add the red pepper, mushrooms and zucchini and saute, stirring
occasionally, 5 minutes longer.
8. Stir in the rice tossing to coat.
9. Add the stock, bring to a boil and stir in the Parmesan cheese, basil,
pepper and sausage.
10. Transfer the mixture to a lightly oiled, 2 quart casserole. AT this
point the casserole can be coled to room temperature and stored in the
refrigerator tightly covered for up to 24 hours.
11. Bake covered for 25 minutes.
12. Uncover and bake 10 minutes longer or until almost all the liquid has
been absorbed and the rice is tender and the top is slightly crusty.
Recipe by: Readers Digest Cook Now, Serve Later, 1989
Posted to MC-Recipe Digest V1 #1024 by njwwb
on Jan 20,