1 1/2 lb Beef top round
1/4 c Soy sauce
3 tb Rice vinegar
3 tb Sesame oil
2 tb Toasted sesame seeds
1 ts Sugar
3 tb Finely minced scallions
1 1/2 tb Finely minced garlic
1/2 ts Freshly ground black pepper
1. Cut the beef on the diagonal into flat 1/8-inch-thick slices, about 3
to 5 inches long by 1 1/2 inches wide. Place the pieces in a noncorrosible
2. Add the remaining ingredients, one by one, to the bowl. Using your
fingers, mix the preparation gently byt thoroughly.
3. Cover the bowl and place it in the refrigerator for 12 to 24 hours.
Mix the preparation occasionally.
4. Remove the bowl from the refrigerator at least 1 hour before cooking
the marinated beef.
5. Drain the beef before cooking, being careful not to press out its
succulent juices or to rub off the clinging sesame seeds. Discard the
marinade, or reserve it for future sauce making.
6. Barbecue the marinated beef slices in a single layer (the slices
should not touch each other) over hot coals for 25 to 40 seconds per side,
depending on the thickness of the meat and intensity of the heat.
7. Serve the 'bul-gogi' immediately.
From: GREAT PEASANT DISHES OF THE WORLD by Howard Hillman
: ISBN 0-395-32210-3. Houghton Mifflin, Boston. 1983 Posted by: Karin
Brewer, Cooking Echo, 7/92
From Gemini's MASSIVE MealMaster collection at www.synapse.com/~gemini