Chocolate Expresso Torte
1 c Butter; or margarine
1 c Sugar; +
1 tb Sugar
1 c Expresso; +
2 tb Expresso**
1 pk Semisweet chocolate (12 oz)
6 Eggs; plus
6 Egg yolks
Confectioners sugar; garnish
* can use margarine if it is good quality and pareve, (if you're serving a
dairy meal). **brewed expresso or very strong coffee.
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease 9" spring-form pan. Place wax paper
on bottom of pan, grease and flour; set aside.
2. Place butter, sugar and Expresso in the top of a double boiler and heat
until sugar dissolve.
3. Pour hot liquid over chocolate and stir until dissolved; set aside. Beat
eggs and yolks until frothy; add to the chocolate mixture and pour into
4. Bake for one hour; edges should crack slightly. Remove from oven and
cool; cover and refrigerate. Remove from pan and sprinkle with
HINT: This cake is rich and has NO flour. It is almost as creamy as
cheesecake You should only serve tiny thin slices.
NOTE: This TORTE can be served at Passover; of course then you would use
Passover Cake Meal to dust the pans not flour This is Ellen's Trademark
Pesadicha dessert. She has made it EVERY year for Passover for at least
SOURCE: A Jewish Mother's Cookbook
Posted to JEWISH-FOOD digest V97 #309 by BNLImp@aol.com on