Saganaki with Olives and Lemon|
Classic Saganaki with Olives and Lemon
8 oz Kasseri cheese; *see note
3 tb Olive oil
1 tb Fresh oregano; chopped
1. Cut the Kasseri into 1/2 inch thick rectangular slices.
2. Rinse cheese slices under cold water (do not pat dry)
3. Coat each piece with flour.
4. Heat olive oil in a large heavy skillet until almost smoking.
5. Add cheese slices and cook until it begins to brown, about 1 minute per
6. Transfer to plates, squeeze with lemon juice over top and sprinkle with
fresh oregano and pepper to taste.
Notes: Kasseri or Kefalotyri, classic Greek sheep's milk cheeses are hard
and very salty. Serve this appetizer with tomato wedges, warm pita bread
and kalamata olives.
Recipe by: Bon Appetit - February 1997
Posted to recipelu-digest Volume 01 Number 351 by RecipeLu
on Dec 09, 1997