Cooked Strawberry Jam
3 qt Strawberries
1/4 c Lemon juice
2 oz Powdered pectin
8 1/2 c Sugar
1/4 ts Butter
1. Wash, hull and halve berries. Crush one layer at a time and measure
3/4 cup into a 6-quart kettle. Stir in lemon juice. Add pkg of pectin and
stir thoroughly to dissolve. This will take several minutes. Stir down
sides of pan and crush any remaining lumps of pectin.
2. Place pan on high heat. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly to
3. Add sugar gradually, then butter, mixing well. Continue stirring and
bring to a full rolling boil (a boil that cannot be stirred down). Boil
hard exactly 4 minutes, stirring constantly to prevent scorching.
4. Remove jam from heat. Skim foam from top.
5. Pour into hot, sterilized jars, wipe top and threads of jar. Apply hot
lid and screw band. Twist screw band down tight. Process in boiling water
bath 5 minutes. Start counting time when water comes to a boil.
From Gemini's MASSIVE MealMaster collection at www.synapse.com/~gemini