East India Relish
1 1/2 qt Chopped onions
-(About 6 to 8 medium)
1 qt Firmly packed shredded
-carrots (about 1 pound)
1 qt Peeled, diced green tomatoes
-(about 8 medium)
1 qt Chopped zucchini
-(about 2 pounds)
2 c Light corn syrup
4 c White vinegar
2 tb Salt
1 tb Ground coriander
2 ts Ground ginger
1 ts Crushed red pepper
1/2 ts Ground cumin
Stir a few tablespoons of this relish into mayonnaise when making a
chicken salad, or try it with pot roast. The recipe makes six 1 pint
jars. You'll need a shredder or food processor in addition to the
basic equipment for boiling water bath canning.
1. Organize ingredients, equipment, and work space.
2. In a preserving kettle, combine the ingredients. heat over medium
high heat to boiling. Reduce the heat and simmer 5 minutes.
3. Spoon the relish evenly into hot jars to within 1/4 inch of tops.
4. Spoon hot liquid from the kettle to within 1/4 inch of tops of
jars. Run a slim, non metal tool down along the insides of jars to
release any air bubbles. Add additional relish, if necessary, to
within 1/4 inch of tops.
5. Wipe tops and threads of jars with a damp clean cloth.
6. Put on lids and screw bands as manufacturer directs.
7. Process in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes. Follow basic steps
for boiling water bath canning, 10 through 19.
Source: Vegetable Gardening Encyclopedia Typos by Dorothy Flatman 1995
Posted to MM-Recipes Digest V3 #235
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 21:58:11 -0500
From: email@example.com (S.Pickell)