Parmesan - Low-Cal|
Eggplant Parmesan - Low-Cal
3 tb Balsamic vinegar
1 tb Olive oil -- plus
1 ts Olive oil
3/4 ts Sugar -- divided
1/2 ts Oregano
1/2 ts Fresh ground pepper
1 1/2 lb Eggplant -- cut in 1/2"
1 c Onion -- chopped
1 1/2 ts Garlic -- minced
4 tb Dry white wine -- divided
16 oz Stewed tomatoes -- or 14
1 c Tomato -- seeded, chopped
1/4 c Fresh basil
4 oz Mozzarella cheese, lowfat --
1 tb Grated parmesan cheese
Basil sprigs -- for garnish
1. Heat oven to 400F. Combine vinegar, 1 tablespoon oil, 1/2 teaspoon each
salt and sugar, the oregano and pepper in bowl.
2. Coat large cookie sheet with vegetable cooking spray. Brush both sides
of eggplant vinegar mixture and arrange in single layer on cookie sheet.
Bake 15 minutes per side or until fork-tender.
3. Combine onions, garlic, 1 teaspoon oil and 2 tablespoon wine in large
non-stick skillet, stirring, over medium-high heat until onions are sfot,
4. Stir in stewed tomatoes with their liquid, chopped tomato, basil,
remaining 2 tablespoon wine, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon sugar.
Bring to boil over high heat; reduce heat and simmer uncovered, stirring
occasionally to break up tomatoes, 10 minutes. Makes 2 1/2 cups sauce.
5. Spoon one third of the sauce into shallow 2-quart baking dish. Arrange
half the eggplant over sauce. Spoon half the remaining sauce over eggplant.
Sprinkle 2/.3 cup mozzerlla. Top with remaining eggplant, sauce and
mozzarella and the Parmesan.
6. Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes. Bake uncovered 15 to 20 minutes
more, until bubbly. Let stand 15 minutes before serving for easier
cutting. Garnish with basil sprigs.
Recipe By : Ladies' Homes Journal - January 1995
From Gemini's MASSIVE MealMaster collection at www.synapse.com/~gemini