Fresh Tomato Pizza
2/3 c Warm water; (105-115?F)
1 pk Active dry yeast
2 ts Sugar
1/2 ts Salt
3 tb Olive oil
2 c Flour
2 md Onions; finely chopped
1 Clove garlic; minced
1 ts Oregano; crushed
1/4 lb Dry salami; thinly sliced
3 md Tomatoes; sliced 1/4" thick
2 c Monterey jack cheese;
~ --- Layers of good things ? plenty of cheese, sliced fresh tomatoes,
pungent salami and onions saut?ed with garlic and oregano ? top a puffy
yeast crust to make a memorable pizza. This is a perfect supper dish,
served with mixed green salad. - ---
1) Place water in a large bowl. Sprinkle with yeast. Let stand about 3 to
minutes. Stir in sugar, salt and 1 Tbsp. of the olive oil. Add 1 1/3 cups
flour. Mix to blend. Beat about 3 minutes until dough pulls away from bowl.
2) Stir in 1/2 cup remaining flour to make a soft dough. Turn dough out
onto floured board. Knead about 8 to 10 minutes until smooth and springy.
Place dough in greased bowl; turn once to coat all sides. Cover and let
rise in warm place about 30 minutes or until doubled.
3) Meanwhile, preheat oven to 450?F and saut? onions until limp in 2 Tbsp.
of the oil. Stir in garlic and oregano.
4) Punch down the dough. Roll or pat it into a greased 13 inch pan. Spread
with onion mixture. Top with a layer of salami, single layer of tomato
slices, and sprinkle with cheese.
5) Bake about 15 to 20 minutes or until crust is well browned.
Recipe by: Ron West
Posted to Bakery-Shoppe Digest by Ron West
on Feb 5,