2 lb Live lobster
6 md Sized raw shrimp; in shell
-(6 to 8)
6 sm Hard-shelled clams
3 Links spanish chorizo
1 Whole chicken; cut in 12
2 ts Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1/2 c Olive oil
3 Ouncles lean boneless pork;
-cut in 1/4 inch cubes
1/2 c Onions; finely chopped
1 ts Garlic; minced
1 md Sweet red pepper; cut in
1 lg Tomato; peeled, seeded and
3 c Medium grain rice
1/4 ts Freshly ground saffron
-(grind threads in a mortar)
6 c Boiling water
1/2 c Fresh peas
6 Lemon wedges; (6 to 8)
1. Cut up the lobster, removing the stomach and intestinal vein. Without
removing the shell, cut tail crosswise into 1 inch slices, and split the
body in half lengthwise, then crosswise into quarters. Set aside.
2. Clean and devein shrimp, leaving tails intact. Scrub clams and mussels
well, and remove the "beards" from the mussels.
3. Place sausages in skillet and prick them with knife. Add water to cover
completely and bring to the boil. Reduce to simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
Drain, cool and slice into 1/2 inch rounds.
4. Season chicken with 1 teaspoon of salt, and black pepper. Brown chicken
in 1/4 cup of olive oil until it becomes a rich golden brown. Remove to
plate. Add the lobster to the oil remaining in the skillet and cook 2-3
minutes till pink. Lightly brown sausage slices in same fashion.
5. Make sofrito by discarding fat remaining in skillet and add remaining
1/4 cup olive oil. Add pork, garlic, onions, pepper strips and tomato.
Stirring constantly, cook briskly until most of the liquid in pan
evaporates and the mixture is thick. Set aside.
6. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a 14-inch paella pan, combine the
sofrito, rice, the remaining 1 teaspoon salt and the saffron. Pour in the
boiling water, and stirring constantly, bring to the boil over high heat.
Remove the pan from heat and taste to correct seasoning.
7. Arrange the chicken, lobster, sausage, shrimp, clams and mussels on top
of the rice and scatter the peas at random over the whole. Set the pan in
bottom part of oven and bake uncovered for about 30 minutes or until all
liquid is absorbed. At no point should the paella be stirred after it goes
in the oven.
8. When the paella is removed from oven, drape a kitchen towel loosely over
the top and let it rest for 5-8 minutes. Garnish with lemon wedges and
serve at the table directly from the pan.
Formatted and Busted by RecipeLu
Posted to recipelu-digest Volume 01 Number 226 by RecipeLu
on Nov 09, 1997