Bean Paste #2|
Red Bean Paste #2
1 Piece dried tangerine peel
1 c Chinese red beans
Water to cover
1/2 -(up to)
3/4 c Sugar
1/2 c Water
4 -(up to)
6 tb Lard
1. Soak tangerine peel; then shred fine.
2. Place red beans, tangerine peel and water in a saucepan. Bring to a
boil and simmer, covered, until soft (about 1 hour).
3. Transfer beans and their cooking water to a blender and blend at high
speed. Then put in a cheesecloth square and squeeze out as much of the
liquid as possible. Reserve the mash, discarding the liquid.
4. Bring sugar and remaining water to a boil. Then cook, stirring, over
medium heat until the mixture spins a thin thread when a small amount is
dropped from the tip of a spoon (3 to 4 minutes).
5. Stir in mash and lard. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is
thick and pudding-like.
VARIATION: For the red beans, substitute 1/2 cup red bean powder (also
known as red bean flour). Omit steps 2 and 3. Add this powder along with
the tangerine peel at the end of step 4 and stir in to dissolve. Then add
the lard and cook as in step 5.
ISBN 0-517-65870-4. Downloaded
from Glen's MM Recipe Archive, http://www.erols.com/hosey.