Rouladen of Beef
1 1/2 lb Round steak in 6 thin pieces
Salt and black pepper to
1/4 c + 2 Tbl Dijon mustard
6 sl Cooked bacon, crumbled
1/2 c Chopped onion
1 c Chopped carrots
6 Dill pickle spears
2 tb Vegetable oil
1. Preheat broiler.
2. lb each piece of beef between two pieces of waxed paper to 6 inch
diameter (about 1/8 inch thick); sprinkle with salt and pepper.
3. Place meat on rack in pan 4 inches from heat and broil for 1 minute on
4. Spread each piece of meat with 1 tbs of mustard. Sprinkle evenly with
bacon; top with equal amounts of carrot, onion, and 1 pickle spear. Roll up
and secure with a wooden toothpick.
5. Heat oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Brown meat
rolls on all sides.
6. Add 1 inch water to skillet. Cover and simmer for 1 hour, or until
beef is tender. Remove to a warm serving dish. Pour the pan juices into a
sauce bowl. Remove toothpicks before serving. Pass the sauce separately.
Makes six servings.
From Gemini's MASSIVE MealMaster collection at www.synapse.com/~gemini