1 1/4 c Dried pea (navy) beans*
4 c Boiling water
1/2 ts Salt
1 c Bean cooking liquid
- (step 3)
2/3 c Tomato puree
1/2 c Onion, chopped
1 md Sweet apple
-- unpeeled, finely chopped
1 tb Prepared mustard
1 1/2 ts Worcestershire sauce
2 ts Sugar
1/8 ts Pepper
4 servings of about 1 cup each 296 calories per serving
1. Add beans to boiling water. Boil 2 minutes. Remove from heat, cover, and
soak 1 hour or overnight in refrigerator.
2. Add salt. Bring beans to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and boil gently
until tender -- 1 to 1-1/2 hours.
3. Drain. Save 1 cup bean cooking liquid. Mix with beans and remaining
ingredients in saucepan. Bring to a boil.
Reduce heat, cover, and boil gently 30 minutes.
4. Continue cooking, uncovered, until sauce is of desired
consistency--about 10 minutes.
5. Serve half of the beans and refrigerate remaining 2 cups for use at
another meal within 3 to 4 days. *
*NOTE: 3-1/4 cups canned navy beans, drained, may be used in place of dried
beans; omit 4 cups boiling water and salt and steps 1 and 2. Use 1 cup
water in place of bean cooking liquid. Combine beans and 1 cup water with
other ingredients and proceed as directed in step 3 above. About 260
calories per serving.
*NOTE: Reheat beans over medium heat until mixture is bubbly, stirring as
needed to prevent sticking.
* Thrifty Meals for Two: Making Food Dollars Count * USDA Home and Garden
Bulletin Number 244 * Meal-Master format courtesy of Karen Mintzias
From Gemini's MASSIVE MealMaster collection at www.synapse.com/~gemini