Spicy Beef Stew (Bo Ham Gia Vi)|
Vietnamese Spicy Beef Stew (Bo Ham Gia Vi)
2 lb Stew beef; 1" cubes
2 tb Lemon grass; finely chopped
2 tb Ginger; minced
2 tb Fish sauce
2 ts Sugar
2 ts Vietnamese curry powder
1 ts Chili paste
1/2 c Onion; chopped
2 tb Garlic; minced
5 c Water
1/2 c Tomato paste
1 Stick cinnamon
4 Star anise
1 c Carrots; large dice
1 c Potatoes; large dice
1 c Daikon; large dice
1. Mix the beef, lemon grass, ginger, fish sauce, sugar, curry powder and
chili paste in a bowl. Set aside for one hour.
2. Heat wok. Add peanut oil and beef with marinade, stir fry 2 minutes
until beef loses its pink color. Remove to a bowl.
3. Heat wok. Add peanut oil, onion and garlic. Stir fry 1 minute until
4. Add tomato paste and stir fry 2 minutes.
5. Add beef and marinade, water, cinnamon and star anise.
6. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours, until beef
7. Add carrots, potatoes and daikon, cook until tender. Remove cinnamon
stick and star anise before serving.
Formatted & Busted by RecipeLu
Posted to recipelu-digest Volume 01 Number 230 by RecipeLu
on Nov 09, 1997